Old July 31st 05, 07:46 AM
Tony VE6MVP

On 31 Jul 2005 05:26:40 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

It's more a puzzler than anything else. In effect they are saying
anyone who's been licensed for three years at this point has experience,
while in the future 3 years experience is not sufficient.

It seems odd that if they feel a need to grandfather some, it's not
a blanket grandfathering at the time the new rules go into effect.
But given that they do specify a date, that would seem to be the case.

shrug I agree with you.

Of course, if this was the old days, they'd have to bring their log
in to show that they had a good three years of experience, rather
than just sitting on the license. Who can forget the old endorsement
for the amateur license that gave some limited HF phone, but you had
to prove that you had been active on HF CW in that time period.

I've only been a ham since November 2004 so I can't speak for the good
old days.

But it would've made sense to me to get an examiner to sign off that
you have some experience such as knowing how to use the PTT button,
the DTMF on your keypad, participate in some nets without being
disruptive and being able to program memories into your radio.

Somewhat seriously though I can see a practical exam being somewhat
useful here.

Tony