Old July 31st 05, 05:22 AM
John Smith

driver42:

Yes, such a device will allow you to adjust the swr under adverse conditions
and is good to have, at least if the swr is high you can adjust it down and use
the darn radio--now that beats sitting there with a darn useless setup!!!

Since you can voice your concerns, and have awareness that swr is important--I
take it for granted you have the common sense how to read instructions properly
and use it--if not, someone which knows how should be consulted--some of those
truckers are savvy to swr and such, if not, large truck stops always have a
radio shop close, or usually do...

So, I'd give a thumbs up to the matchbox (use in combination with your SWR
meter)... there is some "insertion loss" from the matchbox, and a bit of a
power loss, this is almost always negligible and not enough to worry
about--just make sure you don't run a linear into it, that match box says it
will handle 80 watts pep (that is only about 55 watts rms) so don't burn it up
AND the radio/linear!!! (you could use a 50 watt linear, or less, with it
safely, or have BIG finals in your cb which puts out 50 or less watts.)

Hope all of this helps and I didn't get too "wordy."

John

"driver42" wrote in message
5...
wrote in :

I just was reading about this radio.
http://www.galaxyradios.com/cb/959.html
says it has an "Automatic SWR Circuit (no complicated calibration
procedure)" Does that mean the circuit sets the SWR automatically?

No. It means that it will read the SWR ratio without you having to
manually calibrate the meter. It does not correct the problem if there
is one.

If you move the radio from location to location just check the
reading. If it's 2:1 or lower don't worry about it.

Thanks,
I have an SWR meter from radio shack that I've used in the past. I know how
to use it. My problem is that I'll be in a different truck everyday and
wont be able to set the SWR the way I want to. On Monday I'm gonna call the
cb shop that I saw online and ask them about the SWR match box. Below is a
cut and paste of this product. Let me know if this will set the SWR without
having to mess with the antenna's.

"Don't "Live with" High SWR Readings! This Matcher will tune your SWR very
low, simply insert inline between radio & Antenna. Has 2 Adjustment knobs.
Perfect for Radios with wide channel coverage, indoor antennas, non-tunable
mobile antennas, or for using 10 thru 12 meters off 1 antenna. Handles 80w
pep. Requires either an SWR meter built into radio, or an optional SWR
meter between Radio & Matcher."