Old July 31st 05, 07:11 AM
John Smith

Frank:

Yep. The good old "hair splitters" come crawling out now. Fact is, and he
made them clear!, the company has the antenna and coax, it is a give, he will
switching trucks, no time and doesn't wanna pay shop fees with every run, load,
etc...

The match box is fine, guarantees he will not generate a bunch of shop costs...

Any sensible person knows it is a no brainer...

He doesn't want to get a damn engineering degree, he wants to use it...
John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:54:05 -0400, wrote in
:

If you move the radio from location to location just check the
reading. If it's 2:1 or lower don't worry about it.

Thanks,
I have an SWR meter from radio shack that I've used in the past. I know how
to use it. My problem is that I'll be in a different truck everyday and
wont be able to set the SWR the way I want to. On Monday I'm gonna call the
cb shop that I saw online and ask them about the SWR match box. Below is a
cut and paste of this product. Let me know if this will set the SWR without
having to mess with the antenna's.

"Don't "Live with" High SWR Readings! This Matcher will tune your SWR very
low, simply insert inline between radio & Antenna. Has 2 Adjustment knobs.
Perfect for Radios with wide channel coverage, indoor antennas, non-tunable
mobile antennas, or for using 10 thru 12 meters off 1 antenna. Handles 80w
pep. Requires either an SWR meter built into radio, or an optional SWR
meter between Radio & Matcher."

This is a line flattener.

....oh brother, more voodoo CB terminology.

If the line has standing waves on it then it isn't flat, and no
matching device on the radio end can reduce or eliminate the line-load
mismatch causing the standing waves. The only "line flattener" is a
LOAD impedance that matches the LINE impedance. You can't do that at
the radio.

They can be problematic in that one of the
knobs can be bumped and give you an abnormally high SWR reading.
Much higher than the antenna itself.

Or the antenna can hit a tree and fall off, or the coax could get
jammed in the door, or the radio's power leads could be accidently
shorted by a sharp edge under the dash.......

You also will double the possibility of a loose coax connector, and
don't forget that moving the setup will require more time and care.

Oh, the turmoil of it all! So why even bother using the CB in the
first place if there's going to be the possibility of a problem? If
you want to discourage the guy from using a matching device then at
least give him some -valid- reasons. Like, you probably won't notice
any difference if the SWR is 3:1 and not 1:1, or that the importance
of SWR is moot when compared to field strength, or that any matching
device isn't going to accomplish squat with a cigarette-lighter radio
and a mag-mount antenna.

This isn't exactly a performance rig, and the fact is that SWR isn't
going to tell you anything -- if you manage to get it to 1:1 you'll
get a warm-fuzzy, but that's about it. Just plug it in and talk. If
someone hears you, great. If they don't, there's probably nothing you
can do short of a full and proper install that will get you heard.

News==----
Newsgroups