Old August 1st 05, 03:40 AM
Caveat Lector

You can buy Galena crystals raw or mounted -- see URL:
http://www.midnightscience.com/catalog5.html

All the rest of the parts for a crystal set are there also

For the catwhisker (needle) they sell a Phospor Bronze Catswhisker

Main site is
http://www.midnightscience.com/

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Joseph Fenn" wrote in message
va.net...
Yeah galena xtals used to sell in wolworth dime stores for about a
dime way back when I was a kid. Doubt if you could find one
anywhere in the world at this late date. My first hombrew receiver
consisted of a large coil wound on a round oatmeal box, a galena
crystal as detector, an old pair of WW1 headsets that weighed about
10 lbs, and a homebrew slider on the coil so could peak the am
broadcast signals. First you had to use a needle point on the
galena crystal to find a hot spot where the signals produced the
max signal, and then you were all set to lay back and enjoy your
local Radio stations.
Kokomo Joe