Old July 31st 05, 11:33 PM
Jim Hampton

"Kardiac Korner" StentCity@Cumadin wrote in message
Seventy-Somethings who oft compare their surgeries with their fellows.

Well,
this is not endemic to the HF bands.

Case in point. This afternoon three of the youth challenged Old Timers

tied
up a local repeater as they compared notes and even argued over whose

heart
surgery was the worst. They droned on and on about the incisions made in
their legs, their chests, and even went into graphic detail about the
drainage tube that had been implanted in one of their abdomens.

And it this was not depressing enough, one of the Codgers went on to

regale
the listeners with details of his wife's cancer and chemo treatments and
detailed the prescription drugs his wife uses.

Come on, guys. My heart goes out to you, but MUST you discuss it for hours
on end? On a repeater? Or anywhere? These oldsters are understandably

caught
up in their dilemma but someone, some day, is going to have to ask them to
please, please, stop.

These Oldsters, all Extra licensees, have no idea how depressing it is to
listen to them.

And, guys. When someone asks you how you are doing, don't go into an hour
long history of your medical trials and health tribulations. Spare us the
details and the resultant depression. Please?

This message not posted via two or more anonymous remailers.

Nice try.

I've been battling the "age" thing for a bit. I had to take a job well
below my capabilities, but I took a particular job. I was putting a pallet
atop a stack of pallets. I put one end up one the stack, picked the other
end and a kid came up and started to grab the side of it. I figured he
wanted to help. Nope, he grabbed the pallet and pushed it atop the stack
saying "take it easy; you're too old man!".

Well, I grabbed another pallet, picked the thing up and threw it atop the
stack. Then I told him that neither he nor I had gloves and I didn't
particularly wish to get any splinters in my hands. I should have
challenged him to see who could do 25 push-ups in less time. Guaranteed I
buryl him. 50 could be dicey if he was in good shape.

The next time someone says "we don't type anymore, we use word processors",
I'm going to suggest they bring their best on. Microsoft Office or Star
office. Either one. I can type 65 words per minute without error on a bad
day with a hangover and can do a bit better if I get upset. I have pushed a
teletype to 92 words per minute (on a 100 word per minute machine - dang
thing fights you!). I can handle a little more than 65 on a simple
keyboard. A fair amount more.

I can also add/subtract a few numbers faster than the kids can punch the
numbers into a calculator. Found that out plenty of times.

Direct your whines to the extra-lights that only had to take a 5 word per
minute exam. I took 20 (and passed) 3 times - once for my commercial
telegraph ticket and twice for my extra (once in 1966 and once in 1993 after
I let my tickets expire). BTW, the code doesn't really matter either. I've
found that the kids that want to try and find a way to push the oldsters
aside really want to find a way to artifically get a job; they often don't
want to work. I know. I won't drive folks to work anymore after one guy
was drinking a beer on the way *in to* work! No open containers in my car.
No drugs, either.

Now, I am going to head off next week to repair a road sign. The pay isn't
great, but not bad ($25.00 per hour). Hopefully, the problem won't be too
bad (sign struck by lightning - the pc, apparently, works).

ZBM-2 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA