Old July 31st 05, 10:34 PM
John Smith

Frank:

I will put it in simple words for you:

"We don't give a damn what they call a "match box"/"line flattener."!

Just think of it as a device to keep you from cooking the finals!
They work well for that purpose!

John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:18:35 -0400, wrote in
:

This is a line flattener.

....oh brother, more voodoo CB terminology.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/LF-2040.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/radios/HF-8040.htm

http://www.valcom.ca/Guelph/products...-30_photo.html

Yup. Sure looks like the term "Line Flattener" is "more voodoo CB
terminology"

Why don't you google "bird watts"? You'll get more hits than "line
flattener".

Probably because I'm not very concerned with
semantics.......

That much is obvious.

.......You need to check your facts before you start
posturing and posting. You end up looking like a fool when you're
corrected.

Where was I corrected? You posted links to devices that -are- line
flatteners; i.e, they convert signal impedance to the characteristic
impedance of the transmission line. But the topic of -this- discussion
is a cheap little box that does nothing more than tune a conjugate
match. The difference is that a line flattener eliminates standing
waves on the line. This matchbox does nothing of the sort. It just
tunes out any reactance in the signal so the radio doesn't notice the
standing waves. Any line-load mismatch still exists, as does the
reflected power on the line. By definition, it does -not- 'flatten'
the line. It is not a line flattener. In your own words, "you need to
check your facts before you start posturing and posting. You end up
looking like a fool when you're corrected."

News==----
Newsgroups