Old August 1st 05, 01:29 AM
John Smith

driver42:

I would replace the term you are using "set the swr", with "adjust the antenna
for low or lowest swr."

For example, you question might be stated as, "I will not be able to adjust the
antenna for a match and low SWR--and will have to use it as it is, so will a
match box allow me to still operate my radio into the antenna, no matter if the
swr is low, or not?"

You can ask this same question in rec.radio.amateur.antenna, however, they
refer to a "match box" as an "L-Match", same thing in most cases, however there
are different types of "match boxes", some balanced, some unbalanced, since you
are using coax, you will be using an unbalanced one (ALL cb "match boxes" will
be "unbalanced")

So, if in rec.radio.amateur.antenna you ask, "Can I use a "L-Match" to lower
the SWR into an antenna which I cannot physically adjust, but is cut for the
right frequency?" You will begin another debate there. grin

But, if you think you are confused here, you will even be more confused there.
They will start laying technical terms on you faster than a pervert can come up
with lollipops for the kids! And, the hair splitting over semantics, syntax
and terms will spin your head!

However, after you chat with the shop techs, please, report back on your
findings for others who might post the same question... thanks in advance...

Warmest regards,
John

"driver42" wrote in message
5...
Geez fellas... I didnt mean to start a war here. I'm just a truck driver
that wants to do things as right as I can given my situation with pretty
much having a different truck everyday. After reading through this entire
thread I think I'm even more confused :-) so here's what I'm gonna do. I
will call a few of these cb shops that I've seen on the web and ask them
for their advise and explain to them my circumstances of wanting a good
high quality radio "no amp or stupid toys that make noise" and telling them
that I'll be in a different truck and wont be able to set the SWR and ask
them what would be a good setup for me. One last question for you all that
have been helpful. Can you give me a few sites to good internet dealers
since there arent any physical shops left in my area anymore?
Thanks again for your help guys.