Old March 22nd 04, 04:14 AM
Frank Dresser

"TerryJ" wrote in message
news:i8t7c.56129$Cb.877753@attbi_s51...
Why is there such a big demand for Hallicrafters speakers? I found one on
Ebay that matched the SX-111 that I am restoring. It had a replacement
speaker, not the original, but the case looked good. I stopped bidding at
48.00. It closed for well over 100 dollars! Good grief, it's just a 3x5
speaker in a metal box....

Because some things never change. Decades ago, most guys who bought these
radios figured they could do better and cheaper to find a non-original
speaker. So there are many more radios than matching speakers.

I have a couple of Hallicrafters radios which need external speakers. I use
matching transformers and speakers I've found at the Salvation Army store.

If you want a matching speaker, you still have to pay extra.

Frank Dresser