Old August 1st 05, 09:28 PM
Hal Rosser

Where did you read about this antenna ?
Receivers can withstand a lot more swr than transmitters, so it should work
fine for swl.
Compared to no antenna, its great.
It might work better if you had an antenna tuner between the antenna and the
radio.

"larry" wrote in message
Greetings

I have been reading about this new? broadband antenna... It seems mainly
used in the short wave receiver domain but I also find newly licenced
amateur also using it...

It is a spin-off of the 'end fed' antenna but seems to have some point
blurred in the translation.....

The antenna is constructed as follows....

A random length of wire any where from 40 feet to 140 feet.. The end

nearest
the house is connected to one end of the high impedance end of a 9 to1
balun.. The other end of this end of the balun is connnected to ground...

The arguement is that because the high impedance end is connected to

ground
that the antenna is quieter...less noise...

The low impedance end of the balun is connected, via a length of 50 ohm
cable, to the receiver... or transceiver...

The other end of the cable is connecte to the receiver or transceiver and
needs to use an antenna coupler.....

My question.. is this a valid antenna....

Personally, I don't think so...

I beleive that because the antenna comes to the radio in 50 ohm coad but
still needs an antenna coupler the swr must be high therefore the antenna

in
not valid...

Someone suggested that this design is a spin-off of an end fed dipole or
zepp ...but I disagree...I think there are a few points missing for it to
qualify as an end fed dipole or zepp...

Larry ve3fxq

anyways.. any thoughts?...