Old March 22nd 04, 03:37 PM
Scott Dorsey

TerryJ wrote:
Why is there such a big demand for Hallicrafters speakers? I found one on
Ebay that matched the SX-111 that I am restoring. It had a replacement
speaker, not the original, but the case looked good. I stopped bidding at
48.00. It closed for well over 100 dollars! Good grief, it's just a 3x5
speaker in a metal box....

Because hams are cheap, and so nobody bought the original speakers with
the radios except commercial and government users. And most of those
folks tossed out the speakers years ago. The radios got kept, but the
speakers landed in the junk piles, when there were few enough of them in
the first place.

As a result, the speakers are much rarer than the radios.
--scott