Old August 1st 05, 08:15 PM
John S.

Heeksbleek wrote:
My 20 year Sony ICF-2001 recently started for it-self. In the morning
it was lud playing whilst the on/off switch was down.

Later, when it happened more the sound became only al loud
rushshshshshshshs. Switching the radio on and using the preset buttons
or the usual blackbuttons did not gave any normal reaction.

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Does this mean the final recycling or can a Sony ICF-2001 used more
than only 20 years ?

Heeksbleek

Well, try the inexpensive solutions first. I'm not sure if you are
talking about the original 2001 or the european version of the 2010
which was also numbereed 2001.

Anyway, if the radio has a reset button, try pressing that. Also try
removing all batteries for long enough to allow the clock and memories
to reset.

If that doesn't work, and the radio has a lot of emotional value for
you then seek a good repair shop for an estimate.

Otherwise, look for a newer radio. Either the latest Sony 7700 or the
Degen DE1103 would provide excellent reception and features for the
money.

Unfortunately I think you are seeing the downside to radios that run
from IC's, synthesized tuners and use electronic displays. When they
die the only salvation is another parts radio. At todays prices for
new receivers many of the older radios are really not worth fixing.