Old September 8th 03, 12:59 AM
Cecil Moore

So we have the following requirements
Pload = Pfwd - Prev
Prho = Prev/Pfwd

There is still a very large selection of pairs which will satisfy
these constraints.

Nope, there are not. Assuming Pload is known and Prho is known, you
have two equations and two unknowns which can be solved for with
unique solutions. For instance, in my previous example:

Pload = 100 watts, Prho = 0.25. Prho can be calculated.

Prev = Pfwd*Prho and substituting, we have: 100W = Pfwd - 0.25*Pfwd
100W = 0.75*Pfwd, therefore Pfwd = 133.33W, a unique solution.

Incidentally, if you want a reference for losses in low-loss lines,
_Fields_and_Waves_... by Ramo, Whinnery, and Van Duzer has a section
1.22 on page 41 titled, "Physical Approximations for Low-Loss Lines".
They assume an average loss per unit length. I won't even try to
reproduce the equations in ASCII.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp