Old August 1st 05, 11:49 PM
U-Know-Who

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:36:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run
your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

Guess what, John: Most of the finals used in CB radios today (and for
the past 20+ years) can withstand SWR of 30:1 indefinitely. And that
includes the power transistors used in amps, too.

Frank, to be fair, you must now finish this statement. Even at 3 watts, some
of these tiny radios and chassis don't have enough mass to dissipate the
heat that will be created by the miss-match. Sure, you can add a larger sink
and forced air cooling, but stock, they won't take it. And it's never a bad
idea to check the heat sink and mica insulator and replace the grease with
Arctic Silver 5 or some comparable superior thermal compound. I lost an
MRF477 due to improper installation by the manufacturer. The screw had been
stripped and was not making proper contact with the heat sink, and that was
with a reasonable SWR.