Old August 1st 05, 11:24 PM
Jim Hackett

So then I can call a friend up and tell them that I just heard on the
scanner that the cops are coming to raid his house? Cool...

"Cyrus Afzali" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:11:30 GMT, Joel Rubin
wrote:

(I believe that it is illegal to repeat any content heard on radio
other than on broadcast and ham radio.)

No it's not. As long as someone receives a radio transmission through
a legal device, what's said on it is totally open to the public.
Surely you've seen cases where the transcripts and/or tapes from
police departments and other emergency operators has been made public.
What IS illegal is modifying a device to receive cellular phone calls
or other private transmissions between private individuals. I don't
even think it's that easy to modify scanners to do that these days.
But back before everything was digital, it was fairly simple if you
were comfortable with making your own modifications.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...aug01,0,205702

4.column?coll=ny-ny-columnists

IN THE SUBWAYS

Straphangers flex their muscles