Old August 2nd 05, 01:38 AM
SeeingEyeDog

Default Testified Before Congress: Communist Chinese Spy's Infiltrate and Influence Western Media

The rights of U.S. citizens and residents have been abridged and have been
under attack here in the U.S. by a foreign state for sometime now. Rights
here in the U.S. are already “imperiled in full.”
....western media companies have become the handmaidens of tyranny. These
actions break a crucial psychological barrier. How long before the habits of
mind and the business practices learned in Beijing appear in the decisions
made directly affecting business done here in the U.S.? Is the U.S.
transforming China, or is China transforming us?

When Hao Fengjun left China to go to Australia to defect, he brought with
him a large number of 6-10 Office documents loaded on his MP-3 player [see
below]. One of those documents details a meeting held in Shenzhen on October
19-20, 2004, for the purpose of organizing the investigation of The Epoch
Times and two other independent Chinese-language media that have also
regularly reported on “sensitive” subjects that the CCP prefers were not
covered, New Tang Dynasty T.V. and Sound of Hope Radio.

In November 2001 the magazine China Brief published an invaluable article
“How China’s Government Is Attempting to Control Chinese Media in America.”
http://www.jamestown.org/publication...issue_id=63 8

In June 2005 the magazine Chinascope (“How the Chinese Government Came to
Dominate Chinese Language Media in the United States”
http://chinascope.org/june05/feature.pdf ) revisited this topic and expanded
on the treatment given in the China Brief article. The Chinascope article in
particular discusses the context for China’s domination of the
Chinese-language media. It notes the huge disproportion between the
aggressive, purposive actions of the P.R.C. to take advantage of the U.S.’s
free institutions and the U.S’s largely passive response. The U.S. has
neither effectively defended U.S. institutions here at home against the
P.R.C.’s challenge nor effectively projected into China media informed by
the principles of a free society.

Chilling Testimony Before Congress:
http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-7-31/30785.html

The 6-10 Office document:

Tianjin City Public Security Bureau, Office of Cult-Related Crime Prevention
and Administration
(Formerly Tianjin City Public Security Bureau 610 Office)

Oct. 21, 2004

Bureau Chief Zhang:

From Oct. 19 to 20, the No. 26 Bureau of the Ministry of Public Security
held a meeting in Shenzhen for directors of the 610 offices in the public
security departments and public security bureaus in Tianjin, Beijing,
Shanghai, Guangdong province, Shandong province, Jiangsu province, Shaanxi
province, Hunan province and Anhui province. […]

During the meeting, each province gave reports on their overseas
investigation of the three media [The Epoch Times, New Tang Dynasty T.V.,
and Sound of Hope Radio], collected by overseas special agents.

Comrade Zhang Yue listened to our bureau’s report on collecting information
from the Epoch Times website and praised our work here in Tianjin. The
Tanggu Branch Bureau reported on the work of the spy with code name
"Investigator 102." Comrade Zhang said this spy has done well. He/she has
already infiltrated into the Epoch Times in Hong Kong. The essential task
now is how to best position this agent and let him/her infiltrate deeper and
higher and give full play of his/her special effect. We need to have long
term plan for directing this agent, we shouldn't rush. We should consider
the fact that this agent wants to work for us and use our assistance to get
into Hong Kong's political circle. We can make some arrangements for
him/her, to help him/her release his/her burden and work for us. The Hedong
Branch Bureau reported on 3 agents (“Jin T9901,” “Dong 16,” and “269”). All
three are on good footings. The key is to direct them to obtain internal
information from The Epoch Times more directly, in order to improve
Tianjin's investigation over the 3 media.

2. Opinions on Deployment

This special investigation case will continue to be uniformly administered
by the No. 26 Bureau, with participation from the 610 offices from the
public security departments and bureaus in Tianjin and the other 8 cities
and provinces. The task for the 6 provinces is to rely on the overseas
secret forces to deepen overseas investigation and improve personnel
arrangement. Collect criminal evidence against the 3 media's reporters,
columnists, staff writers, and their connections inside China. At the same
time, develop a strategic battle plan to gradually weaken the influence of
the 3 media, including inserting someone into the 3 media to influence their
content and create conflict among these media, forcing out the few diehard
members from the 3 media, and try to stir up internal chaos. Especially try
to obtain information on the true identity and activity of "Zhao Zifa" [an
Epoch Times reporter who regularly interviews individuals inside mainland
China] as soon as possible.

At the meeting, each local bureau was required to prepare a detailed local
plan on how to implement the Ministry’s deployment plan.

3. Our thoughts on Implementation

We have the following thoughts on how to implement the plan in accordance to
the requirement announced at the meeting.

1) In the near future, meet with the directors, national security team
leaders, and key police members of the Tanggu and Hedong branch bureaus to
explore how to use four overseas agents' to their potentials, position them
correctly, and investigate the 3 media. We'll try to make a detailed work
plan in half a month, submit it to the No. 26 Bureau, and begin
implementation.

2) Strengthen internet monitoring of The Epoch Times, analyze its overall
content to identify its characteristics, with emphasis on obtaining
information about its reporters and staff writers who publish information on
Falun Gong. […]

3) Improve our bureau's investigation work mechanism. Zhao Yuezeng will be
responsible for the overall administration of the case. Zhao Guoli will be
in charge of overall investigation. Shi He will be in charge of training for
police officers from the two branch offices. Yang Guolan will be in charge
of summary of intelligence reports. Zhang Yuwei will be responsible for
collecting information from our monitoring sites. Our office will take the
lead to coordinate a bi-monthly standing meeting on this case with the
Tanggu and Hedong branch bureaus. The purpose of the meeting will be to
report the latest news on the Ministry’s and other bureau’s investigations,
research our investigative work and troubleshooting the problems, adjust the
direction of our investigation, deepen the investigation, and pass notices
from No. 26 Bureau and our findings onto the Tanggu and Hedong branch
bureaus in a timely manner, so that the police from the two branch bureaus
can have the latest news and direct the agents in target areas to collect
information.

4) Guarantee manpower, material supply and funding for this investigation.
No. 26 Bureau of the Public Security Ministry has decided to allocate
special funding to the local bureaus. We will provide timely financial
support for the Tanggu and Hedong branch bureaus, strengthen communication
with police officers who are directing the special agents, and improve their
skill in working with the agents, in order to ensure Tianjin's leading role
in this investigation.