Old August 2nd 05, 09:23 PM

From: "John Smith" on Mon 1 Aug 2005 23:05

Len:

Ahhh, good to see such a thing. Restores a bit of faith in humanity. You
never have to fear the decision of the majority, logic, common sense and
decency still resides in the overall consensus.

I wouldn't go at it QUITE that way, John. I'll put the BIG THING
on the federal government getting ON the Internet and letting folks
talk DIRECTLY to their government. No longer does one need a
legal firm or other organization to "talk for us" (or, laugh-in-ly,
as a "representative" ex-officio).

Up through the 1980s, "interfacing" with our government HAD to be
done at slow-speed via surface mail OR through some legal
representative. The ARRL helped (and hurt) the "amateur community"
by providing a legal firm on retainer in DC which, in turn,
"presented its case" to the FCC in neat legalistic format. Problem
is that the League HAD CONTROL of this "representative" process
all the way despite their spin that they "represented all amateurs."
They didn't since their membership was never greater than a quarter
of all licensed U.S. radio amateurs and right now is perhaps only
one out of five (have to wait until QST finishes their mid-year
"publishers sworn statement" to get an update on their numbers).
The League is only beholden to its membership and is in no way
obliged to "represent" non-members.

Once the Algore influence on Internet connecting by the government
began happening, we (those who were around prior to 1991 and
after the Internet became public) could COMMUNICATE *DIRECTLY*.
The first taste of this New Freedom for radio amateurs was
probably in 1998 and FCC 98-143, the NPRM on Restructuring.
Surprise, surprise, no more League filtering of opinions, us
citizens got to Comment easily and quickly DIRECTLY with the FCC.
I'm sure the League got a bit of a shock on realizing they no
longer had the CONTROL they thought they had.

Direct communication with our government is pretty much a good
thing despite the rare crackpot stuff that sometimes happens...
and even with "canned" Comments that originate with one author
and are spread around and copied and sent do work. Don't nobody
forget that those work for BOTH sides. :-)

So far, with the ECFS not yet completed for 2 Aug 05, the NCTAs
outnumber the PCTAs by at least 3:1.

I can go to sleep realizing God is good...

Yes, but lock the doors and windows...a PCTA may be lurking out
there somewhere ready to BEEP you! :-)

out dit