Old March 26th 04, 12:35 AM
Biz WDØHCO

in article , Rich at
wrote on 3/25/04 3:08 PM:

I found an EH Scott SLR-12-B (Navy? 'morale') receiver
(550kc-16Mc) for sale. I would like to know what ($) to offer for it
presuming good working condition. I have not been able to find much
information about this set on the internet. If you know of any EH
Scott BA resources I would appreciate if you share them with me. TIA!

E.H. Scott was a native New Zealander who came to the US and founded Scott
Transformer Co in 1924. The name of the company was changed to Scott Radio
Labs when it was re-located to Chicago in 1931. Scott sold most of his
interest in the company when he was demoted from president to sales manager
1944 and resigned in 1945. He died in his retirement home in Victoria B.C.
Canada.

The E.H. Scott Morale Receiver is interesting in that it was the only
receiver made during WW2 where radiation from the local oscillators were
heavily suppressed. Up to that point, the Germans learned to DF a convoy by
tuning into the signals given off by local oscillators. Some German subs
could detect these signals from as far as 100 miles at night.

Needless to say, Scott sold many receivers to the U.S. Navy.

Still they remain fairly rare on the market. I'd offer $60 to $80 and see if
the seller bites. You will probably have to changed the electrolytic caps
and a few tubes.

- Biz WD0HCO