Old August 3rd 05, 05:48 PM

Rob Mills wrote:

It's been quite awhile since I had mine open but the actual bar in mine
was
only 8 or 9 inches long. What really surprised me was that the coil on
the
bar had very few turns, maybe 4 or 5. RM~

PS, I do have the schematic of the amp.
--------------------------------------
Based the size on my flawed memory.It has been seveal years since I had

mine open. I agree with the few number of turns. Before I could afford
to buy
a used one, I bought a core from McKay-Dymek for something like
$5(shipping
included!) back in ?1972? or so. I worked part time in a repair shop
and one
came in with a blown transformer and after I repaired it, I wanted one.
As a
college student I couldn't affoard a new one. My copy worked about 85%
as
well as the real one for about 5% of the cost.

I was e-mailed the diagram for the active DA100 earlier this year and
was very underwealmed by the clone's performance. The North Country
active antenna is
better and the AmRad active antenna is light years better. Given how
well the
DA5 worked I had hjoped teh DA100 would be in the same league. A friend
has
just bought a new DA100-E and will bring it over this afternoon for me
to compare
to my AmRad and North Country actives.

Terry