Old August 5th 05, 01:47 AM
Ralph Mowery

"charlesW" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am currently a comp sci student who has become interested in
ham radio, mainly from taking physics classes and learning about
electromagentic theory. I find the subject fascinating and would like
to learn more theory and hands on applications. Currently my schedule
doesn't let me take any of the classes which sound interseting like EM
wave theory and antenna theory. I go to a small school and there isn't
a ham radio club here.

Did anyone mention the www.arrl.org page and AMSAT for the sats ?

Look around and see if there is a hamfest near you. That is a flea market
for ham gear. You may find a used rig there. As always you may find a few
that will sell a rig that is not working like it should and so on.

While studying for the license test don't try to learn anything from the
qustion and answers, Just study the correct answers. Get a ARRL Handbook ,
even a used one a few years old will go a long way in getting you started on
teh correct path. Packet is just about dead except maybe a few that are
looking at the DX clusters.