Old August 4th 05, 10:17 PM

Default MLA-2/B Loop antenna info

Our astronmer friend is cleaning house in preperation to moving
to NZ. She loaned me a couple of older books. "The Handbook of
Solar Flare Monitoring and propagation forcasting" , by Carl
M Cherman is fascinating.

One antenna is too interesting to ignore.

The MLA-2/B loop anenna is deigned to be used from
3~25MHz for both RX and TX operations. It is based
on "an impedence transfomer from a 50 Ohm transmission
line to the nominal 377 ohm resistance of free space."

The publishd pattern is very interesting. A quick net
search didn't bring anything up. It was made by
Antenna Research Associates of Beltsville MD.
I have visited their web site and sent a Email.

I was just wondering if anyone in the group had run
into this odd antenna. It is reported to have "the
performance of a half wave antenna with a device
no larger then 54 inches". If accurate this could
be a usefull antenna.

Another oldie but goodie is J.A. Ratcliff's "Sun
Earth and Radio". The Copyright date is 1970 but
the information is still of interest to anyone
who uses HF radio. I had heard of this book and
tried to locate one for a longtime.

Terry