Old March 30th 04, 11:37 AM

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:58:53 UTC, (Jim)
wrote:

David,
Thanks. I found this interesting. As "search terms" any of those words
would give overwhelming results, for sure. As descriptive add ons, I
guess they have a place.
For radios, I suppose a purist would say there is no such thing as an
antique radio (over 100 years old), but that dead horse was beaten
many threads back.

The horse is coming back to life.

I was just researching early radio for my own reasons:

Here are some contenders for the "1st Wireless Transmission"

1892 Willion Preece
1894 Oliver Lodge
1895 Marconi
1901 Marconi - Transoceanic

1904 is the cut off for some folks idea of "antique". It's not
mine. I believe that my SX-101A is an antique and I don't care what
furniture people think or say. Furniture folk do not own the
English language or the legal system. They definitely do not have
the final say.

At best all they can do is state, "in some circles, by convention, a
piece of furniture is not considered an antique until it is 100
years old." They should add, "This has no legal standing or
general agreement, although some folk might like to imagine it
does."

By 1916 there seems to have been commercial radio broadcasts with
news and music and thousands of avid listeners.

One surprise for me was discovering that the transcontinental
railroad was completed in 1869 trailing Western Union's
transcontinental wire telegraph which was in 1861. The Pony Express
started in 1860 so it probably lasted about 1 year.

de ah6gi/4