Old August 5th 05, 07:43 PM

From: John Smith on Thurs 4 Aug 2005 22:39

Len:

Kinda of disappointing, you would think this would heat the blood much
more and the comments would have been much more, even though,
apparently, they comment too quickly... dismal figures there... I am
thinking about seeing a shrink next week and seeking medication to fight
off this depression... Krist those of "Brotherhood of the Dead Key" must
be wearing black arm bands... perhaps contemplating a change of church!
(away from the "Jehovah's Witness to the ARRL", "Holy Order of the
Brothers of the CW Cross to Bear" or "Brotherhood of the Brass Key")

Not to worry, John, even as we click away the Church of St. Hiram
is perparing a Novena.

Get your supply of votive candles before the stores run out...

I expected those for elimination to run 10:1 against those supporting! I
just can't understand it... I will use this bottle of Jim Beam to console
my spirits, a "Meeting of the Spirits" if you will...

Well, settling for a mid-morning cup of coffee instead, my take
would have been a 4:1 ratio in favor of tossing the code test.

That's my old opinion based on slowly getting into the Elimination
fray about a quarter century ago...and having the advantage to
work full time in the REAL HF communications field a half century
ago.

What the rabid hams can't see is that there is MUCH MORE in the
whole of electronics to interest hobbyists. Note: Ham radio IS
a hobby activity regardless of the posturing and puffery of its
"servicemen" and "radio" is a subset of the whole of electronics.
For example, the hobby (and businesses supplying) of robotics
grew at an alarming rate in the last 5 years, catching me by
surprise...and I try to keep a pulse feel on the whole of
electronics. Such differing hobbies draw personal (hobby)
interests away from the "purity" of ham radio...and can account
for a lessening interest of either of the For or Against NPRM
groups. Ham radio gets the "who cares?" treatment and hobbyists
go to other things more fun and with less of the regimental,
strictly-ordered "fun" of being a "serviceman."

who car