Old September 8th 03, 08:03 PM
pez

-
| Roy Lewallen" wrote:
| As always, corrections are solicited and welcome.

-

Dear Mr. Roy Lewallen,

There is no doubt
your numerical example is a correct one.
Maybe you have already seen in another thread
a reproduction of your results
which prove that these are consistent
with the Uniform Transmission Line Theory.

So we think that
there is no any reason to check the core of your example
as far as already agree with your conclusions.

What it is remain
is a number of completely minor issues
which we would please you to explain for us,
for the sake of completeness.

1.
-
| I chose an approximate model of RG-58.
| I say
| approximate, because the conductor loss doesn't include the shield loss,
| something I haven't yet accurately included in my calculations.

-

Would you help us to understand in which way
this increased accuracy can affect your calculations?

2.
-
| and velocity factor of 0.492.
| One wavelength of the cable is 14753 meters,
-

We are not fans of the light velocity calculations
but we can't reproduce the above result.
For the Free Space,
with the light velocity of 300,000,000 [m]/[s],
the wavelength is 14,760 [m],
for the Empty one, with 299,792,458 [m]/[s], is 14,750 [m]
and if we reverse your calculations,
we take the in-between number 299,857,723 [m]/[s]
based on your wavelength of 14,753 [m].
Of course this is not a big deal,
as far as it doesn't modify any linked to it,
sensitive enough, result.

3.
-
| and the matched loss of
| that length is 31.60 dB.
-

We are not so sure if
under Complex Z0 conditions
it is permitted to characterize this quantity
as a "matched" one.

4.
-
| Again for calculational convenience, I chose a forward voltage at the
| input end of the cable of 1000 + j0 volts. All the results can be scaled
| if wished for any other value.
-

We think it is really more appropriate
to express all the results in terms of the voltage source (Vs,Zs) couple.

5.
-
| I've also run a similar analysis of a hypothetical lossless cable with
| the same Z0. Such a cable, as far as I know, can't be constructed. But
| if there's enough interest I'll be glad to post that also.
-

Of course there is.
It is very interesting to see
how you can achieve this.