Old August 7th 05, 05:21 AM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message
I just bought a PRO-2033 and would like to hear 460.300 and what's listed
as the 'talk-around'. I am completely ignorant and trying to get a grasp
on this stuff. My Dad was a chief of police (passed away in 2000) and I've
got tons of cops in the family but hate to admit I never paid attention and
ask one of them

When I hit the scan button, the digital readout just runs 1 through 10 and
flashes all zeros every time. If I turn the squelch down, it stops, but
it's just static. So it appears auto scanning doesn't even pick anything
up at all. Is it my location or my reception?

When I try to manually enter the frequency, it gives me an error every
time or simply nothing.

Do you think I am a) doing it wrong. b) the scanner itself doesn't
function properly or c) my antenna isn't working?

Is it also possible that the previous owner locked out lots of
frequencies? I think the only way to unlock one is to enter the exact
number first.

Any guidance for a complete new person who is seriously interested in
doing this?

TIA,

Mary

OK - I feel like such a geek. I'm sitting her past midnight with a grin on
my face because I finally figured out what my problem was!! It was scanning
1 through 10 and flashing zeros because *I didn't know it was only scanning
the programmed frequencies*. Of which there were none yet! I thought scan
would scan through all available frequencies not just ones I specified.
Anyone know if there is a way to scan that way, too?

Gees - thanks for all the help. I'm off to bed!

Mary