Old August 9th 05, 10:43 PM
b.b.

John Smith wrote:
We need to scale back NASA and any space plans, other then the pursuit of
maintaining military superiority in space,

But, but, but....

We had to break a Treaty to attempt that. The no-servers don't like
that plan.

if needed and focusing on
developing a fuel source which is not harming the planet and threatening
to bring us to our knees from dwindling supplies.

and terrorist induced disruptions.

A scientific project on the scale of NASA and designed to develop a new
fuel, or new fuels, would be in our best interests...

The time for that was 1973 (1st oil embargo), 1977 (second oil
embargo), 1991 (first Gulf War), 2001 (WTC/Pentagon attacks), and 2003
(2nd Gulf War). In that time frame, we've only succeeded in developing
an -interruptable- power supply. ;^)

I support alternative fuel development from a national security
standpoint, not a global warming view.

Priorities need to be examined here...

Ooops. Congress just re-examined those priorities and decided to
"Spring Forward." Huge effort, that, making people change their
clocks.

What would it have taken for the environmentalists Clinton/Gore to have
merely extended the EPA Fleet Mileage requirements for and additional
10 years??? What would it have taken for Clinton/Gore to tighten up
the standards and lessen our dependence on foreign oil???

Answer:

A $00.25 Bic pen.

Instead, there is no longer an EPA Fleet Mileage requirement. None.
Nada. Zip.

So let's buy behemoth V-8 and V-10 vehicles, raise the speed limit to
70mph, and roll them down the highway at 85mph on underinflated tires.
Talk about a highway to hell.