Old August 10th 05, 01:02 AM
D Peter Maus

jrjacob wrote:
I just moved to Chicago and have found that there are no longer any
decent frequencies for my wireless FM modulator (sold through XM radio)
as the modulator only allows me to use one of 8 frequencies (88 or 107
.1, .3, .5, or .7). I have since come across other FM modulators
designed for MP3 players such as the iRiver AFT 100 Mobile FM
Transmitter. Does anybody know if this or other FM modulators can be
used with XM radio? For the record, my XM radio has not been
professionally installed as my car is being leased and this is not
allowed by the terms of my lease. Also, amazingly, XM radio was
completely unable to help me with this question. Very disappointing
technical support. I'd hate to have to give up my XM radio...

Thanks!

I live in the far north suburbs, and frequently have to drive through
the city to the far south. Using the FM modulator on your XM radio is a
PITA, especially in the city, where cross modulation and the plethora of
low end operator makes finding a clear channel next to impossible.

If you're using your XM antenna will as the radiator for your FM
modulator, proximity is king. The output of the XM FM is sufficient for
a good capture. This will block lesser signals, except when you're up on
them.

That makes cross modulation the bigger issue. Not much you can do
there, I"m afraid.

There are two alternatives, though, depending on your radio. One is
the cassette adaptor. This is actually better than the FM modulator in
that it produces better audio, without the noise, or other artifacts of
the FM modulator.

The other is a direct line in. On my Caravan, I set my MyFi on the
cup holder, and run the line out it to the CD changer line in. I also
use this input for my iPod. In my car, though there is a stereo mini
jack under the face of the radio for a direct aux input. Simple hookup,
clean line input, excellent results.

To paraphrase Gorman-Redlich: There is no reason to have to give up
your XM. It's "guaranteed to work, even in Chicago."