Old August 11th 05, 01:25 PM
Michael Coslo

John Smith wrote:
Mike:

Last time I took a chemistry class, when you burn hydrogen in the presence
of oxygen you get water, and that is all...

John

What are the byproducts of converting seawater to hydrogen and oxygen?

Hydrogen is seen as some sort of saving angel in the energy issue.
Producing the hydrogen is a bit of a problem though. It takes a lot of
energy to produce it. It has a pretty low volumetric energy density.

Interestingly enough, a gallon of gasoline contains more hydrogen than
a gallon of liquid H2 - it's a great way to store hydrogen.

But to the problem at hand, a somewhat practical method of producing H2
would be to electrolyze it, using Nuc power. The electrolysis plant
would probably be set up near the ocean (let's not even talk of fresh
water production - just ask the folks on the left coast about fresh water)

So now we have an extraction plant that is powered by an unpopular
power source, and has one big nasty polluting byproduct.

Or we can use the other methods of generating H2. Of course, they cause
as much pollution producing the fuel as if we just used the fuel in the
first place.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:52:28 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

John Smith wrote:

commander:

Why two-thirds of the oceans are composed of hydrogen, and the oceans
themselves cover two-thirds of the planets surface... course it takes more
energy to get the hydrogen out of the sea water than you get back when you
burn/use hydrogen--but, if we can develop a new generation energy
source so we have cheap and abundant energy to extract the hydrogen from

What are the byproducts?

- mike KB3EIA -