Old August 11th 05, 05:01 PM
dxAce

So... whether you're posting as wrinkled Ronnie or as brayner you need to set
your clock... you're way off.

dxAce

wrinkled Ronnie wrote:

As many of you know, a common problem with the RF-2200 is the gyro antenna
failing to stay in the "up" position.
Well: Here is the post to the Yahoo group about this very problem, and a
reply with a fix.
*************************************

Ques:
I recently purchased a '2200 in great shape, much better than the one I had
sold a few years back. The only problem with it is that the gyro antenna
doesn't always stay up (it does sometimes when I set it just
right). Before I try something on my own which could make it worse, any
idea as to how to correct this problem? Any help is appreciated.

ANS:
I have disassembled a few of these and can tell you that most likely the
only cure is a new gyro antenna from a parts set. Removal of the whole
assembly is easy though.

1) Remove the back panel (6 screws if I recall).

2) Clip or unsolder the two leads coming from the tube at the base of the
gyro antenna where they are soldered onto metal studs on the PCB..

3) Remove the C ring which holds the gyro antenna in the radio at the bottom
of the pivot tube. Be sure to note the position of several washers - I
think there are 3 of them).

4) Lift the whole gyro antenna assembly straight up out of the tube and
clear of the radio

5) Under the round base you will see a screw holding a curved flat metal
piece about 1 inch long. Remove the screw.

Now you can see how the mechanism works. Beneath the curved metal arm is a
coil spring and a ball bearing. The ball and spring are retained in a square
plastic stud, and when this stud breaks the antenna no longer stays up. IF
ALL THE PARTS ARE PRESENT (including the broken piece of the plastic stud)
you MAY be able to fix it. You have to scrupulously clean all the grease
out of it, then use super glue to repair the plastic stud. Re-assemble,
apply some light grease, then use with care.

However, if that broken plastic piece is missing you will have to be very
creative in order to salvage it, but you will at least understand how the
mechanism is supposed to work.
I hope that helps you out a bit.