Old August 12th 05, 06:11 AM
John Smith

Mike:

Look into NetLimiter, you can run it on any computer you wish to limit
upload/download speeds on, can also run it on a computer which is serving
as a router--it will do what you want I believe...

Google netlimiter and read about it.

What these devices are is "bandwidth throttles" or "shapers", google with
those terms and it will give you quite a bit to look at.

Linux has many methods, windows is a bit limited, I ended up using
netlimiter for home use...

John

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:50:18 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

KØHB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote

Big deal. Gimme the fiber!

Don't hold your breath!

FTTP and FTTC ("Fiber to the [business] Premise" and "Fiber to the Curb") are
both burgeoning because of the "bundling of users" which is possible, but nobody
seems to able to make a viable business case for FTTH ("Fiber To The Home"),
primarily because there is no residental "killer app" out there which demands
the bandwidth of a PON.

hmmm, must not be enough people out there with my problem. The more BW I
get, the more my kid hogs up. I have the ultimate solution though. When
he gets to using too much of my BW, I reach over and unplug him from the
router for a while. And no, he is not amused! 8^) What I would prefer
though, is some sort of Ethernet throttle.

No market demand = no telco is motivated to make the capitol infrastructure
investment.

- Mike KB3EIA