Old August 13th 05, 01:41 PM
Kim

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:04:16 -0400, Dee Flint wrote:

The days of kids being computer gurus have already come and gone. Now

they
just play video games and chat. Very few get interested in programming.
Very few do a hardware project. They take their computers to the shop

for
upgrades. They only people that I have observed doing their own

hardware
upgrades, rebuilding computers, etc are the middle aged and the "old

farts"
that you seem to despise so.

I spend countless hours teaching our interns how to use email,

spreadsheets,
etc.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

BINGO! As Jim would say. With just a rough guess, I am surrounded by
approx. 70 or so people that would know me well enough to be inclined to
call for computer help. Of those, probably 50 percent are less than 35. Of
those, none are really what I would call "intermediate" users of the
computer. Some are above average (average being relative to the overall
community of people I am exposed to concerning computer users), but
certainly not self-sufficient on computer-ese.

I consider myself a very average computer user. I used to be right there
with technology, keeping up, etc. But, it's been about 30 years and I am
just wanting to get through each day on mine at work now...LOL At any rate,
as you mention above, Dee, I am still their immediate computer consultant
for my workgroup on spreadsheets, all the MS Office stuff, email, attaching
documents, finding things on their machines, cruising our network, etc. I
am happy to do it for them and I don't think of them with the disdain that
some seem to. I don't measure one's value by their efficacy on a computer.

I got my husband started in the computer world about 10 years ago. He's way
surpassed me now and I just ask him...LOL

Kim W5TIT