Old August 14th 05, 01:12 PM
Murray

Roy Lewallen wrote:
SNIP
2. Put a common mode choke in the power cable to the rig.

Because the wires are pretty large, it's probably not

practical to wrap multiple turns around a single ferrite

core. So get some large clamp-on cores you can clamp over

both conductors at the same time. It's likely to take a

dozen or so, or more depending on the type of ferrite.

I recommend type 43, or 70-series if you can find it in clamp-on cores.

3. Apply the same kind of choke to the inverter power leads from the
battery.

A source of supply of 'big'! toroids for this kind of
suppression is the deflection coil toroid from old
TV sets. Some of them are enormous! And cheap. (read - free)

I use them round the shack liberally. There is enough
ferrite in there to equal 10 small toroids. (by weight)

Cheers.
Murray vk4aok