Old August 17th 05, 06:20 PM
Michael A. Terrell

uncle arnie wrote:

As energy costs go up, way up, replaced a bunch of bulbs with compact
fluorescents. These things interfere BAD with MW even 40 feet away down a
level in my 4 level split level house, low to moderate with SW varying on
band. Anyone else noticing this? Listening in the dark these days.

The cheap imported CFLs don't have a power factor correction circuit
which allows all the harmonics into the power lines. I use surplus
commercial grade four tube ceiling fixtures with just two lamps
(Disconnect the second ballast or put it on a separate switch to give
more light with two more tubes.) in my work areas. I got a great deal on
them. Nine fixtures were given to me and delivered to my house for free.
They were a couple years old, but in pretty good shape and they are
very quiet, both electrically and mechanically because they are rated
for commercial service.
--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida