Old August 18th 05, 02:15 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Jerry wrote:

Is there an announced date when this restriction is to be lifted, or is it
still just a proposal?

To the best of my knowledge it's still just a proposal.

This proposal was part of the FCC's "Notice of Proposed Rulemaking"
released on 15 April 2004. This was the same NPRM in which the FCC
proposed accepting the ARRL's request to "re-farm" the Novice/Tech Plus
CW sub-bands, reallocated these for phone operation, and proposed
accepting Kenwood's petition to allow auxiliary-station operation in
the 2-meter band (thus legalizing Sky Command).

The comment and reply-comment end dates were back in June of 2004.

I haven't heard anything recent about action on this. It would not
surprise me greatly if the FCC chose to do a single revision of the
rules, which would incorporate the changes in this NPRM and also
formalize the removal of the 5 WPM Morse Code requirement.

If that's how they decide to do it, then "sometime later this year" is
the best guess I can offer.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO