Old August 18th 05, 06:50 AM
Jerry Martes

"ECJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
My radio is in the middle of a building out in the country and I can't
seem to pick up am radio. To solve this problem I tried using speaker
wire to extend it approximately 25 feet to the window in the office
next door reconnecting it to the loop antenna that came with the radio.
I had no luck. Is speaker wire an effective way to extend an AM
antenna? If so what would be the best way to get better results. I
thought maybe tinning the end of the speaker cable that goes into the
radio , as well as soldering the speaker wire directly to the am
antenna instead of just wrapping it might help. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

ECJ

ECJ

The 25 feet of speaker wire has become a capacitor across the loop that
you re-located. That detunes the loop and produces a low impedance shunt
across the front end of the receiver.
If you are interested in one particular station, it is practical to
build/buy a tuned loop AM antenna. Google will guide you to a few
practical designs of AM loop antennas.

Jerry