Old August 18th 05, 11:04 AM
Stephen Parry

Default Non-techie asks for help................

Hi folks, first let me apologise for not lurking, or even reading a
FAQ (I did look and did not find). I know that radio amateurs are a
helpful and friendly bunch, so here goes.
From the UK, for historical reasons, the BBC broadcasts programmes on
Long wave, specifically 1500 metres (198 Khz???). I drive a truck on
the continent of Europe, and would love to listen to this service
whilst on the road (for the cricket!). I know that the signal is
there, and of sufficient strength, as I can receive it OUTSIDE the
truck on an ancient "portable" Inside the steel box (cab) however, too
much noise/too little signal to be useful. The fitted radio has LW,
but again cannot be used for the noise. Could anyone please point me
to some answers to the following:
Antennae: Could I build (buy) some kind of antenna specifically to
receive this emission?
(My old radio has a socket labelled "AM antenna").
Could I build a receiver tuned only to this freq., with no need for a
speaker (run the sound in at headphone type power) that I could
hang/bolt outside the truck (on the roof?), with its own battery and
aerial? If so could someone point me to a diagram of such a beastie?