Old August 18th 05, 12:59 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear Mr. Stephen Parry:
It is possible that the truck (it is one truck?) produces too much noise
at 198 kHz. An important test is to note if your portable radio tuned to
198 kHz receives a satisfactory signal-to-noise ratio when the truck is
running all of its equipment. Try placing the portable radio next to the
truck in places where one might attach an antenna.

The fitted radio, which has LW, must have an outside antenna. Is that
antenna in good condition?

Your solution might be to reduce the noise produced by the truck.
Antennas for LW suitable for mounting on a truck do exist, however they will
not help if they receive too much noise.

Let the group know the results of your testing. Tell us more about the
truck. Regards, Mac

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Stephen Parry" wrote in message
Hi folks, first let me apologise for not lurking, or even reading a
FAQ (I did look and did not find). I know that radio amateurs are a
helpful and friendly bunch, so here goes.
From the UK, for historical reasons, the BBC broadcasts programmes on
Long wave, specifically 1500 metres (198 Khz???). I drive a truck on
the continent of Europe, and would love to listen to this service
whilst on the road (for the cricket!). I know that the signal is
there, and of sufficient strength, as I can receive it OUTSIDE the
truck on an ancient "portable" Inside the steel box (cab) however, too
much noise/too little signal to be useful. The fitted radio has LW,
but again cannot be used for the noise. Could anyone please point me
to some answers to the following:
Antennae: Could I build (buy) some kind of antenna specifically to
receive this emission?
(My old radio has a socket labelled "AM antenna").
Could I build a receiver tuned only to this freq., with no need for a
speaker (run the sound in at headphone type power) that I could
hang/bolt outside the truck (on the roof?), with its own battery and
aerial? If so could someone point me to a diagram of such a beastie?