Old August 18th 05, 05:35 PM
Fred W4JLE

One problem you might look at aside from all the other great suggestions is
to look at how your radio voltage is derived. Most trucks are 24 volt and
the radios 12 volt.

Are you tapping at the junction of the two twelve volt batteries or does
your truck use a 24 to 12 volt converter? These are usually really noisy
from an electrical standpoint.

"Stephen Parry" wrote in message
Hi folks, first let me apologise for not lurking, or even reading a
FAQ (I did look and did not find). I know that radio amateurs are a
helpful and friendly bunch, so here goes.
From the UK, for historical reasons, the BBC broadcasts programmes on
Long wave, specifically 1500 metres (198 Khz???). I drive a truck on
the continent of Europe, and would love to listen to this service
whilst on the road (for the cricket!). I know that the signal is
there, and of sufficient strength, as I can receive it OUTSIDE the
truck on an ancient "portable" Inside the steel box (cab) however, too
much noise/too little signal to be useful. The fitted radio has LW,
but again cannot be used for the noise. Could anyone please point me
to some answers to the following:
Antennae: Could I build (buy) some kind of antenna specifically to
receive this emission?
(My old radio has a socket labelled "AM antenna").
Could I build a receiver tuned only to this freq., with no need for a
speaker (run the sound in at headphone type power) that I could
hang/bolt outside the truck (on the roof?), with its own battery and
aerial? If so could someone point me to a diagram of such a beastie?