Old August 18th 05, 07:59 PM
Mr Fed UP

Yeah! Me too.
A copy of an email to ARRL below: I hope it gets some consideration.
I been around long time but restarting myself I find it a pain to compare
apples oranges and lemons.
This is going to be worse than buying a car with all the "options" and or
built in functions.
Getting started must be a real intimidator for someone new to all of ham
radio.
When I started years back I had no good input from anyone and was Pixed off
for 2 years
because I found no DX,... No one bothered to let me know novice bands
were deserts lol
New hams always ask what radio to buy because the mfgrs and adverts make it
hard to see
what is needed and what comes with a radio. Wooo a new person probably
doesn't know a
lot of DX folks use split freq's to work the "pile ups". I lucked out with
my GTX 757 II and
got a nice rig I could drop in the car or work in the shack. I once worked
Mongolia from the
shack in Indiana and Saudi Arabia from the Indiana parking lot at work in my
car 10m,. I never
thought those few watts could compete with the KW's ... just a matter of
timing and luck mostly.
73 Good luck K4TWO
I'll be following the suggestions toooo
Thanks ev1

I don't know where this "complaint, advice, recommendation" should be
squirted at, but this seemed to be a starting place.
ALL the files and adverts I see in QST or on the web can drowned and
overwhelm a new ham.
What is ALWAYS missing is "what this radio needs to work is.... AC line...
DC power supply... Antenna match... Types of Antennas a user might connect.
Sheeez get some of the basics out to the "New Hams" they want to sell
these things too.
Let them know about how much MORE it is going to cost than the listed price
of the current unit under test.
How about a Key or Speaker or Mic, need a rotor?.... Come on lets get the
newbies a chance to spend his few dollars with out getting
a box and then wish for Christmas to come so he/she can connect it up and
really get on the air.
Go look at the advert's and "reviews" as though you were NEW to the hobby
and about to invest some hard earned money.
While most of the tech info can be impressive, it is fluff to a newbie.
Just tell me how it worked and what needed to make it usable.
How much were all those "options they said were available?" Money for what
filter? What warrantee??? It is the price of a car is it 5 years too?
Thanks.... Hope this message gets to where it will do some good.
Might even put some "shop and compare tables" out for them.
I been around a long time and was getting ready to upgrade from my GTX757II
to a "last good radio" for my retired years and wading through
all the poo has just about put me off buying another radio. I did apply
for a new 4 land call for retired call... I hope Vanity call. Can get a
little vain when that's all that is left. hihi
I just spent 2 days rebuilding the optical dial that froze up in my 757 so I
better move on before it gets arthritis again.

"JET" lifehelth at comcast dot net wrote in message
After helping sell the mobile units for a friend of mine that is a SK, I
am thinking of getting back into the hobby again.
What are some suggestions for a base rig, used under $800.. I have had
Kenwood and Yaesu in the past, but have not kept up with everything. I
have seen Kenwood 930/40 on ebay but seem to remember problems with those
units.. So I am open to listen.
TIA
73's
N5XIE