Old September 10th 03, 04:26 PM
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark wrote:
"As I said, all achievable through references that many have available
to them---."

Richard Clark`s question was:
"A 50-Ohm line is terminated with a load of 200+ j0 Ohms. The normal
attenuation of the line is 2.00 decibels. What is the loss of the line?"

The ARRL Antenna Book is a reference designed for radio amateurs and
available to many..

(Eq 13) on page 24-9 gives: SWR = R/Zo, or 4 in Richard Clark`s
question.

(Fig 13) on page 24-10 gives a reflected power of 36 W from a 4:1
mismatch when 100 W is applied.

(Fig 14) on page 24-11 gives an additional 1.2 dB loss when an SWR of 4
applies to a cable with a matched loss of 2 dB. Total is 3.2 dB loss.

The 19th edition of the "ARRL Antenna Book" eliminates most of the
arithmetic needed to calculate loss added by SWR. Just use the
convenient figures on pages 24-10 and 24-11.

Next to Terman`s "Radio Engineering", I think the ARRL`s "Antenna Book"
is the best reference you can have on your shelf.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI