Old August 20th 05, 09:25 PM
dansawyeror

Frank,

The coil measures about 60 uH. The antenna is elevated about 3 feet on a short
tripod. The radials angle down the tripod legs and then out.

The coil is about 4 inchs in diameter, number 12, wound on a fiberglass form. It
is centerloaded. I am looking at it accross the yard, it is about 6 inches long.
It is would with about a point .5 pitch. Calculations for a 1:1 pitch predict a
Q of about 450.

Thanks,
Dan

Frank wrote:
I have been using an 80 meter loaded vertical for a couple of years with
moderate success. The ground system is a dozen 'untuned' radials 40 or so
feet laying on the ground. The feed line is about 100 feet of RG-8 coax.
The SWR in the shack is about 1.1 to 1.

I have done some research on the antenna and based on it parameters it
should have a radiation resistance of about 4 Ohms. This says that the
coil and ground are absorbing on the order of 45 Ohms. This is 10db
performance loss.

I have limited space and the most common solutions are not available to
me. From a practical perspective it would seem to me that building a 40
foot center feed loaded dipole and putting it in the attic or on the roof
would probably perform somewhat better.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

Would burying the radials and connecting them to several 4 square foot
buried screens substantially help the ground system?

Thanks,
Dan kb0qil

How high is the antenna, where is the loading coil placed, what is its
value, and Q?

Frank