Old August 21st 05, 06:28 PM
Chuck Harris

I have a different receiver that continually blew fuses. I eventually
determined that it was a bad power transformer, probably a shorted
winding, since it blows fuses with the secondary completely
disconnected. I hope this is not your problem. Good luck.

A shorted tranny is the most likely cause. But it could also be a wiring
failure, a bad tube socket, or even a shorted heater bypass capacitor.

If you have a good low range AC clamp on ampmeter, you can check
to see where the current is going on the secondary leads. Or, you
could always carefully unsolder the secondary windings and see if the
fuse stops blowing.

One thing, a 100W lightbulb in series makes a good test indicator for
these kinds of problems. It will prevent the blowing of 1A fuses, and
will light brightly in short circuit conditions. It is a bit easier on whatever
is taking the short circuit current too.

-Chuck