Old August 22nd 05, 01:23 PM
James Robinson

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote:

i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

It is legal to possess and use scanners in Australia. No license is
required, and the usual limitations apply, like you cannot use it commit a
crime, cannot listen to mobile or cordless phones, and cannot make
financial gain on the information you hear over the radio.

It is also legal to carry a scanner on the plane. Since scanners
frequently look like radio transmitters, you might get some hassle at
security about whether it is turned off. In some cases I have heard them
ask that the battery be disconnected. When I've taken one in carry-on
baggage, I've never had any problems.