Old August 22nd 05, 07:18 PM
Jack

Thanks, gb and Colin for the tips. My guess at about 200 mA is ok, I guess.
The choke is pretty charred... all the varnish was boiled out and dried on
the chassis. The outside paper is brittle now. The filter caps seem ok. I
checked them last night and they have between 35 and 50 microamps leakage at
full charge and working voltage. Today I will wire the choke back in and
use a Variac to check for abnormal current draw. I'm not discounting a
shorted turn or two inside the choke although the dc resistance seems
normal. I did just buy a 10H, 300mA choke on Ebay with about the same form
factor.

The power supply filter is the classic pi with 40uf input and 80uf (!)
output. That capacitance combined with 7 Hy sure doesn't seem anywhere near
120Hz for filtering. But what do I know? Thanks again.

Jack

"Jack" wrote in message
I'm looking for the inductance and current rating of the HQ-180A power
supply choke so I can find a suitable replacement. Mine burnt to a crisp
although it still shows continuity. It reads about 250 ohms and on the
DMM's Lx function it says 7.0 Hy. Thanks for any help.