Old August 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote in message
| Steve Sobol writes:

| Clearly they know what's in his messages, or else they wouldn't
| be tired of them. And in case they forgot, his subject line is clear.
| Aren't his messages are topical for the newsgroup?

In my view, a moderated newsgroup such as this one has discourse, maybe
even arguments, all which progress until the thread either dies from lack
of interest/nothing more to say/no longer germaine, or, in rare instances,
where the moderator shuts down a thread because it's strayed too much from
what we're supposed to discuss to be included here. In an unmoderated
group, none of this applies, of course, and one should, if it's a bother,
kill-file the sender. While I've never seen anything in the way of actual
participation in this newsgroup from Mr Gottesman, I felt that killfiling
him was too severe....and I *did* ask him earlier to stop sending what
amounted to the same information, repeatedly. That's just noise.

| Why not just skip them?

As above...I shouldn't have to in a moderated newsgroup. In my opinion,
these repeat postings had no purpose, and should be omitted on those
grounds.

| Does the complainer's software somehow force them to be read?

No, but I got tired of seeing the headers, too.

| Mine just shows headers - you have to press a button to
| cause the message to be downloaded and viewed.

Regardless...my complaint was an observation...your results may vary. If
Mr Sobol opts to continue to clear them, it's not my call, and maybe I will
killfile Mr Gottesman....but I'd rather hope that I'll see something of
substance from him rather than his continued co-opting of this group for
his own financial gain.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-