Old August 22nd 05, 09:38 PM
Dave S

10 miles. I would have thought you'd hear things OK.

You'd be better scanning or tuning to the specific frequencies the airport
uses. Do an Internet search for the airport and the frequencies it has.
Best start would be the approach or departure frequencies, particularly at a
time you have aircraft operating over or near your home. You can try
control tower and ground frequencies later.

However, eliminate the distance question for a start. Grab a list of the
frequencies and go to or near the airport and make sure you are receiving
them there. Once you're confident with the scanner at close quarters, try
again from home.

--

Dave S

"Pred02" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I just bought a radio scanner (radioshack pro-83) and want to listen to
airband frequencies, however, I cannot find any on the airband. I tried
doing the scan, and even tuning to specific ones, like Boston ATC and
whatnot, but cannot hear anything.

Other frequencies, such as Police/Fire I hear just fine. I am
approximately 10 miles away from a major airport.

Am I doing something wrong, or I really have to be close to the airport
to hear them on the scanner?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
george