Old August 22nd 05, 11:54 PM
Bret Ludwig

Default AM operation of KWM?

I saw an auction for a Sampson Modulator which looks to be a way to
apply full plate modulated audio to the output section of a Collins
transmitter or transceiver. it has the "11 pin octal" socket which is
used, aside from relays, only two places I know of, the Collins S-Line
ham equipment and Hammond organ speaker cabs.

First, is that what this is?

Second, since the KWM-2 has no AM position, how is the BFO disabled
for AM rx operation? The audio would be unpleasant even if intelligible
if AM were listened to in a SSB mode.

My guess is that this was actually intended for illicit 11 meter use
but would be usable on any band.