Old August 23rd 05, 07:11 PM
an_old_friend

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
wrote in message

cut
There's another effect going on, too:

Good 80 meter antennas are pretty big to folks used to VHF and 10 meter
type stuff. The popular G5RV is a compromise antenna on 80, at best.
The band doesn't really come into its own until after dark. Etc.

How many folks on rrap have an 80 meter setup? As in "at least a G5RV
that works on 80, 35 feet up at least") There's W4NTI, N2EY, K8MN,
K0HB, and probably W3RV.

and KB9RQZ, and I believe N9OGL as well

Out of how many?

more than half the newsgroup if the NG was a reprentive sample then not
bad

cut

FCC won't go for that. Read the NPRM - they specifically state that
they think 3 license classes is the right number, and that we'll
get to three classes by attrition. They specifically denied
auto-upgrades, new entry level licenses, etc.

Then only extra's do CW. I have no solution for that. If the FCC don't
want it, it won't happen.

The trick is to offer the FCC something that doesn't contradict the way
they
think. Telling them to dump the Extra is a nonstarter because they're
convinced
it's a good thing. The idea of devoting 15% of each band to be Morse
Code only hasn't been presented to them. They might go for it as a way
to eliminate QRM
complaints. "Here's a Morse-Code-only preserve, folks the only QRM
you'll have is from each other!".

Other modes have similar protection. Look at the 'phone subbands - data
modes are not allowed there! Morse Code ops avoid the 'phone subbands -
when't the last time you heard real Morse Code operation in a 'phone
subband?

Last night in fact it was of course in The area where the bandplan
calls 2M SSB calling, some joker sending a signal that read in part
"get off the air" and "CW Rules", my contact says this a common a
common occourance. before that on FD on 6m and on 10M and 15 M

All you hear in the 'phone subbands are SSB, a bit of AM, some SSTV,
and maybe some digital voice and narrow FM. Some might even say those
rules are 'welfare' for analog voice modes.

If those modes can be protected from digital/data QRM, why can't a much
smaller part of each band be set up as a Morse Code preserve?

becuase enough morse code users don't respect those "preserves" Nor do
I BTW support the existance of the current mandated bandplan either so
why should I support making it worse

But the FCC has rejuected micromanaging spectrum further

They also said that more frequencies was the best incentive.

The FCC has NO IDEA what is good for Ham radio. Nor do they give a RIP.

Doesn't matter - they make the rules. If we ask for something that goes
along with their mindset we just might get it. Asking for something
they
have already said is not on their agenda has little or no chance or
success.

73 de Jim, N2EY