Old August 23rd 05, 11:49 PM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
As far as "dumbing down" goes - I don't buy it -

OK, here's some sample test questions:

From the 1976 ARRL License Manual:

Study Question #31:
Draw a schematic diagram of a circuit having the following components:
(a) battery with internal resistance,
(b) resistive load,
(c) voltmeter,
(d) ammeter.

Study Question #32:
From the values indicated by the meters in the above circuit, how can

the value of the resistive load be determined? How can the power
consumed
by the load be determined?

Study Question #33:
In the above circuit, what must the value of the resistive load be in
order for the maximum power to be delivered from the battery?

Study Question #34:
Draw the schematic diagram of an RF power amplifier circuit having the
following components:
(a) triode vacuum tube,
(b) pi-network output tank,
(c) high voltage source,
(d) plate-current meter,
(e) plate-voltage meter,
(f) rf chokes,
(g) bypass capacitors, coupling capacitor.

Study Question #35:
What is the proper tune-up procedure for the above circuit?

Of course those questions seem simple if someone has reasonable
knowledge and experience with the radio technology of the times. The
last two questions are
still arguably somewhat relevant because there are still vacuum-tube
based amplifiers on the market and in wide use by hams.

But the most interesting thing about those questions is that they are
just *some* of the study questions for the *Novice* exam of 1976. Took
up less
than a page. How many pages of explanation would it take to
teach the above material in detail?

The actual exam did not use these questions. Instead, it might show,
for
example, a schematic of the amplifier circuit similar to, but not
exactly like
the one shown in the license manual, with 5 of the components labeled
"a" thru "e". The question would be something like, "which is the
coupling
capacitor?" "which is an rf chokes?" "what is function of the capacitor

labelled ''d' in the circuit above?"

And that's at the *Novice* level. The raw beginner, with limited
privileges.

Does anyone think that the current entry-level exams are tougher than
that?

The breadth of material has increased but the depth has decreased. The
number of questions has decreased and the nature of the test has
changed.

Here's proof:

Written test requirements before April 15, 2000:

Novice: 1 test, 30 questions
Tech/Tech Plus: 2 tests, 30/35 questions (65 total)
General: 3 tests, 30/35/35 questions (100 total)
Advanced: 4 tests, 30/35/35/50 questions (150 total)
Extra: 5 tests, 30/35/35/50/40 questions (190 total)

Written test requirements after April 15, 2000:
Tech: 1 test, 35 questions
General: 2 tests, 35/35 questions (70 total)
Extra: 3 tests, 35/35/50 questions (120 total)

I did this from memory so the number of questions may not be perfect,
but the trend is very clear. Fewer tests and fewer questions across
the board.

Back when I took the exams (1967-1970) the Novice was about 20
questions, and all of the other classes about 50 questions each. About
170 total questions. The exact number of questions on the test was not
known in advance back then, nor were the exact Q&A.

Of course we're not going to see a return to 'secret' tests, because
FCC doesn't have the resources, nor do they see the need. And tests
alone are not the only indicator of knowledge and skill, of course.
There were folks who "tightened all the loose screws" in those days,
too.

73 de Jim, N2EY