Old August 24th 05, 04:49 PM
Jerry

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
. . .
I agree with comments about adding a horizontal wire to the top of the
vertical; it will probably be easier than a capacity hat. I am
overloaded with work at the moment, but would like to attempt a model in
a week or so when I have less work.

Take a look also at a tee type arrangement. That is, a horizontal wire
with the tip of the vertical connected at or near its center. It might
have some advantages over connecting the wire's end to the vertical. But
of course it might be more involved to construct.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy,
I built basically a loaded mobile antenna that went onto an airport
building in Raleigh, NC (about 60 feet) I was reluctant to build it because
I was afraid the people that I made it for (CAP) might not know how to do
the elevated radials. I was afraid they might come back on me. I reckon I am
one of those "trial and error" hams that has tried about everything in the
last 40 years and I am still learning. Anyhoo, BOY was I WRONG! They put
the thing on the air and it really puts out a good signal! None of us have
done any measurements or NEC modeling, etc. Frankly, I was surprised as I
had done very few vertical installations (well, I've got an AV8 vertical
all-bander). All I know is, at the 60-70 foot level with tuned radials, it
really sings!

73

Jerry
K4KWH