Old September 11th 03, 12:38 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Timely thoughts, as I'm building relativistic particle detectors utilizing
Cherenkov radiation.
The usual comparison of Cherenkov to the sonic shock wave is only partially
useful, as the electromagnetic phenomenon is linear.
Propagation "non-linearities" do not produce radiation at another frequency
and are in fact chromatic aberrations.
A non-linearity would produce radiation at new frequencies.
73, H.
NQ5H

"JGBOYLES" wrote in message
Nontheless Maxwell's Equations remain linear.
73, H.
NQ5H

Transmission of EM waves as predicted by Maxwell is linear, and the

propagation
of these waves through the ionosphere is non-linear. Sounds good to me.
73 Gary N4AST